Today’s guest is Dr. Gabrielle Lyon where we talk about how to build muscle mass the right way, common misconceptions about protein, and tips on how you can start your muscle building journey.
Dr. Lyon received her doctorate in osteopathic medicine from the Arizona College of Osteopathic Medicine and is board-certified in family medicine. She earned her undergraduate degree in Human Nutrition from the University of Illinois Urbana-Champaign where she studied vitamin and mineral metabolism, chronic disease prevention and management and the physiological effects of diet composition.
Thanks to this episode’s sponsors:
Earth Echo Foods/Cacao Bliss: www.earthechofoods.com/dougbopst Use Promo code “Doug” at checkout to receive 15% off your order
BiOptimizers/Magnesium Breakthrough: Go to www.magbreakthrough.com/doug and use the code DOUG10 to save 10 percent when you try Magnesium Breakthrough.
What to Listen For:
- 00:00 Intro
- 01:04 Why it’s important to build muscle
- 04:38 How to build muscle the right way
- 07:06 Recommended resistance training exercises
- 08:23 Why people think that lifting weights equate to injury
- 10:10 Common mistakes people make in the gym
- 11:11 Biggest markers to know if it’s a good workout
- 13:30 How to optimize protein intake
- 15:52 Some easy ways to get more protein in your diet
- 17:29 Why is protein so important when it comes to building muscle?
- 20:20 The wider the waistline, the lower the brain volume
- 22:41 Other things that could happen if you let muscles atrophy too much
- 24:50 Types of protein to eat
- 28:12 Locally raised vs. basic store based quality meat
- 35:16 How to implement carbohydrates in an effective muscle building plan
- 39:35 Starting midlife to benefit in the future
- 40:59 The right protocol to get started in lifting weights for overweight people
- 41:48 Getting over the fear of judgement in exercising & going to the gym
- 43:47 Having a healthy life despite of a busy schedule
- 45:19 Dr. Gabrielle’s top five food picks
Follow me on Social Media: