Today’s guest is Shawn Johnson. Shawn is an Olympic gold medalist, a DWTS champion and a New York Times best selling author. But, she is much more than that. She is also a Mom, a wife and an excellent role model. What inspires me most about her is her continued pursuit to become her best, her commitment to her family and her gift of vulnerability to help others. We chat about that as well as societal pressure, managing perfectionism, shifting the perspective on failure, believing in yourself when no one else will and why it’s OKAY to start over.
Shawn Johnson East is a former artistic gymnast and a 2008 Olympic balance beam gold medalist. She is also the 2007 all-around World Champion, and a five-time Pan American Games gold medalist, winning the team titles in 2007 and 2011, as well as titles in the all-around, uneven bars, and balance beam in 2007. In May 2009, she topped season eight of Dancing with the Stars, and in November 2012 she earned second place on the all-star edition.
Thanks to this episode’s sponsor:
BiOptimizers/Magnesium Breakthrough: Go to www.magbreakthrough.com/doug and use the code DOUG10 to save 10 percent when you try Magnesium Breakthrough.
Earth Echo Foods/Cacao Bliss: www.earthechofoods.com/dougbopst
Use Promo code “Doug” at checkout to receive 15% off your order
What to Listen For:
- 00:00 Intro
- 01:05 Big goal for Shawn in 2022
- 03:33 Managing stress and pressure as a parent
- 06:26 Starting over is more exciting than getting stuck in the past
- 13:29 Know that you’re strong enough to get past the test
- 16:28 How society views failure
- 22:31 Changing your relationship with yourself
- 25:18 Sports entertainment is the opposite of sharing vulnerability
- 29:06 You become who you’re around with
- 32:42 Struggles with perfectionism addiction
- 35:30 Avoiding self sabotage
- 38:10 What is Mom Guilt?
- 42:27 Always keep your priorities in order
Follow me on Social Media: