Today’s guest is Sadie Sutton. Sadie is a 19 year old college sophomore from the Bay area and after receiving a year and a half of intensive treatment for severe depression and anxiety, she was inspired to share her story with fellow teens going through their own personal growth.
She started a podcast back in 2019 and has accumulated over 105 episodes reaching over 75,000 listeners. Sadie conducts impactful and inspirational interviews with subject matter experts, fellow teenagers, and social media personalities to break down the stigma surrounding mental health and inspire teens to create their life worth living. Sadie is a psychology major at the University of Pennsylvania and hopes to pursue a career in clinical psychology to further her impact in the mental health field.
We talk about the devastating effects of mental health issues when disregarded and left unaddressed, the different options, treatments, and programs available for anyone struggling mentally and emotionally, the importance of a solid and trusted support system, the amazing story of a young girl who battled against severe depression and recovered from it, and so much more!
Thanks to this episode’s sponsor:
Join Thrive Market today to get 40% off your first order and a free gift worth over $50. Visit thrivemarket.com/dougfitness.
What to Listen For:
- 00:00 Intro
- 01:40 Being very aware and conscious of my myself
- 06:17 Lengthy struggle with self-esteem
- 12:41 Channeling pain through self harm
- 18:14 Relationship foundations matter
- 20:16 “I blamed them…”
- 23:00 Regardless of your circumstance, you can still struggle
- 28:16 It isn’t necessary to explain yourself to others
- 31:22 Running out of options and backed into a corner
- 35:28 DBT versus CBT
- 38:38 Learning DBT skills everyday
- 50:53 The practice of blurting out emotions
- 58:56 When your mental health is no longer consuming you
- 01:03:22 Handling disagreements and differing opinions
- 01:06:39 Sharing wisdom gained from several treatments
- 01:13:14 Shifting into cultivation enough self-compassion
- 01:16:48 Small organic things to feel love and supported
Follow me on Social Media: