Today we welcome Dr. Gabor Maté back to the podcast. Dr. Maté is a retired physician who spent 20 years in family practice and worked for over a decade in Vancouver’s Downtown East Side with patients challenged by drug addiction and mental illness. He is the bestselling author of five books published in thirty languages, including his latest book The Myth of Normal: Trauma, Illness, and Healing in a Toxic Culture. Gabor is an internationally renowned speaker highly sought after for his expertise on addiction, trauma, childhood development, and the relationship of stress and illness. Let’s face it a lot of people are struggling right now with their mental health so I wanted to bring Dr. Gabor Maté back on the show to talk about what we can do about all of this and more.
What to Listen For:
- 00:00 Intro
- 01:36 People are struggling
- 03:58 Major triggers for stress
- 07:20 What can be done?
- 09:19 How to stop stressing yourself out
- 14:07 Men’s mental health
- 17:07 You must focus on the present
- 19:50 How did Gabor heal the relationship with his past?
- 22:20 Conquering the victim mentality
- 28:00 Finding a trauma informed therapist
- 31:00 Dealing with triggers
- 35:09 Making friends with the voice in your head
- 37:28 Parenting
- 41:43 Should kids experience stress?
- 44:18 What to do if you’re afraid of being your “authentic self”
Thanks to today’s sponsor: Earth Echo Foods/Cacao Bliss:
Use Promo code “Doug” at checkout to receive 15% off your order