Today’s guest is David McRaney, host of the popular science podcast, You Are Not So Smart. And David seeks to shed light on the surprising psychology about why people change their minds and how we can persuade others. In his latest book, How Minds Change: The Surprising Science of Belief, Opinion, and Persuasion, David delves into the latest psychological and neuroscientific research and explains that to change mind, we must do what the science suggests, avoid debates and start having conversations.
We talk about how our minds work, how our circumstances and the environment we have affect our thought process, why our beliefs make it difficult to change our perspective, how we should process the information we get exposed to, and so much more!
Thanks to this episode’s sponsor:
Join Thrive Market today to get 40% off your first order and a free gift worth over $50. Visit thrivemarket.com/dougfitness.
Earth Echo Foods/Cacao Bliss: www.earthechofoods.com/dougbopst Use Promo code “Doug” at checkout to receive 15% off your order
What to Listen For:
- 00:00 Intro
- 01:25 Our mind changes a lot of times
- 04:35 The difference between belief and value
- 08:50 Understanding how do minds change?
- 13:44 We are motivated reasoners
- 18:57 What leads us into a polarized state
- 27:31 People arrive at their conclusions through a long process
- 32:47 When you have negative self talks and limiting beliefs
- 42:04 The reason why it’s difficult to change our minds
- 46:52 We favor what we currently believe
- 50:22 Treat everything as hypothetical
- 52:01 How do we decipher which information is real and not real?
- David McRaney | Website, Twitter, Instagram, LinkedIn, Books
- You Are Not So Smart Podcast
- How Minds Change
Follow me on Social Media: