Today’s guest is Dr. Andy Galpin, professor of kinesiology at California State University, Fullerton. Dr. Galpin is one of the leading experts in the world on all things strength, human performance, and hypertrophy. He is an active member of the National Strength and Conditioning Association and American College of Sports Medicine. And he also serves on the advisory board of many private and nonprofit companies in the area of human performance. Andy also works as a high-performance coach and consultant to numerous professional athletes.
We talk about the proper way for an average person to build muscle, how performance training works, why choosing the right exercise is integral in every workout result, how one can properly train in limited time, and so much more!
Thanks to this episode’s sponsor:
Masszymes: Go to masszymes.com/DOUGFREE and you will automatically get access to your unique coupon code to claim your free bottle.
What to Listen For:
- 00:00 Intro
- 01:00 Why should an average person focus on building muscle?
- 04:52 Looking at hypertrophy from two global lenses
- 08:49 People just have way too many calories
- 13:16 Are group fitness classes effective?
- 15:39 How do you manage in a limited time?
- 22:26 What is a good strength workout for hypertrophy?
- 26:56 Soreness is dependent upon a lot of things
- 30:49 What happens when you miss a workout?
- 39:32 The exercise choice matters
- 43:22 Can you burn pure body fat without being in a caloric deficit?
- 48:12 Adherence is the number one predictor of fat loss
Follow me on Social Media: