Today, we welcome Johann Hari to talk about focus, from why we are rapidly losing focus and why many are having a hard time concentrating on one task to how technology is playing a major role in this dilemma, the correlation between sleep and diet, and why working too much affects our quality of work.
Johann Hari is a British writer who has authored two New York Times best-selling books. They have been translated into 38 languages, and been praised by a broad range of people, from Oprah to Noam Chomsky, from Elton John to Naomi Klein. His TED talks have been viewed more than 80 million times. The first is named ‘Everything You Think You Know About Addiction is Wrong’. The second is entitled ‘This Could Be Why You Are Depressed or Anxious’. His latest book, ‘Stolen Focus: Why You Can’t Pay Attention’, was released in January 2022.
Thanks to this episode’s sponsor:
BiOptimizers/Magnesium Breakthrough: Go to www.magbreakthrough.com/doug and use the code DOUG10 to save 10 percent when you try Magnesium Breakthrough.
Earth Echo Foods/Cacao Bliss: www.earthechofoods.com/dougbopst
Use Promo code “Doug” at checkout to receive 15% off your order
What to Listen For:
- 00:00 Intro
- 01:38 Why is focus so important?
- 05:18 The switching between tasks damages our focus
- 15:00 Changing to a healthy diet is difficult but necessary
- 21:26 Correlation between sleep and poor nutrition
- 28:19 The technology we use is designed to hack and invade our attention
- 39:44 Pre-commitments to effectively lessen your screen time
- 41:42 Consider mastering the flow state
- 45:19 How do you actually focus on one task at a time?
- 50:27 Working too much is exhausting us and our quality of work
- 54:36 The truth about addiction
Follow me on Social Media: