Today, we welcome Nedra Tawwab to talk about self-awareness and setting boundaries, how one can set personal boundaries without offending the other person, upholding them for your mental health, having difficult conversations with people you haven’t been in constant contact with, and why you need to seek help from the right person.
Nedra Glover Tawwab is a New York Times best-selling author, licensed therapist, and sought-after relationship expert. She has practiced relationship therapy for 14 years and is the founder and owner of the group therapy practice, Kaleidoscope Counseling. Every day she helps people create healthy relationships by teaching them how to implement boundaries. Her philosophy is that a lack of boundaries and assertiveness underlie most relationship issues, and her gift is helping people create healthy relationships with themselves and others.
Thanks to this episode’s sponsor:
Organifi: Receive 20% off your order by going to www.organifi.com/doug
What to Listen For:
- 00:00 Intro
- 01:00 The lack of self-awareness when something isn’t right
- 04:59 We have to accept we can’t do everything
- 06:51 Many of us are trained to take care of others needs first
- 08:53 Everything is not about you
- 11:47 How to set boundaries without sounding offensive
- 14:01 It’s best not to overthink when having sincere conversations
- 18:39 Are you talking to the right person?
- 22:37 How to get help when you’re dealing with a family member’s addiction
- 29:18 Things you’d rather be doing than using social media
- 33:06 Why you need to exit a relationship properly
- 36:50 Preserving relationships while honoring your boundaries
- 39:43 We don’t have to make the same mistakes twice
- 42:29 Look at conflict as a learning experience
- 44:29 The truth about making compromises
Follow me on Social Media: