Today’s guest and returning to the podcast is Nedra Glover Tawwab. Nedra is the author of the New York Times bestsellers Drama Free and Set Boundaries, Find Peace. A licensed therapist and sought-after relationship expert, she has practiced relationship therapy for more than fifteen years.
Today we discuss: the biggest mistakes parents make when raising their kids, how to effectively support yourself and your child if they’re battling addiction, how to enforce healthy boundaries with someone that’s in the thick of their addiction, what you can do to prevent yourself from being manipulated by others, how to determine when it’s time to cut someone out of your life, how not to become a prisoner of your past, why you can still spend time with family members who don’t want to change and much more.
What to Listen For:
- 00:00 Intro
- 00:31 Biggest mistake parents make
- 02:07 How to make your kids feel supported
- 05:54 Parents need to recognize that they are imperfect
- 07:48 What do to do if your child is battling addiction
- 10:14 Setting boundaries
- 12:30 When is it time to cut someone out of your life?
- 15:02 How to prevent someone from manipulating you
- 19:28 Is there anything parents can do to help their kids defeat addiction?
- 21:58 Putting your kids first when you get divorced
- 24:36 Is your childhood holding you back?
- 27:19 The nuance of personal responsibility
- 29:10 Learn new healthy patterns
- 34:12 Become a hero of your journey
- 37:39 How to coexist with family members
- 40:11 Stop trying to change other people
- 45:09 Are you overreacting?
- 47:54 Talking to your parents that neglected you
Follow me on Social Media: